29 January 2007

The Unknown God



There is a town about 40 minutes from where we live. This town is named Aparecidia. It is named after the idol "Lady of Appearance". This region believes that this saint appears and saves people from evil, danger and death. At the entrance of the town there is a hill with idols placed on rocks on the side of the hill. They have a budah, many saints, idols used by mucumbah, Iemanja (goddess of the sea) and even a big cross with Jesus on it. They have a new idol of Aparicidia on the tallest hill in the town. She stands approximately 25 feet and overlooks the town. She is the "protector" of the city. All this reminds me of the passage in Acts 17:22-24:

Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription:

TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.

Please continue to pray that Bernice and I will find favor with the people of our valley as we present the Kingdom with demonstration and power. Click on the above photo to get a better look at the idols. I will try to get a better picture next time. This was taken last Saturday on the way to Minas. I was on the side of the Dutra (equivelant to Interstate 5) so it was kind of busy...tour busses and diesels come pretty close to the small shoulder where I was standing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I will be praying...

-Melina